Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Poor Herman Cain


Poor Herman Cain.  I remember feeling bad for the guy at the time.

Unsure of whether he should run for president:

“I prayed and prayed and prayed,” the former Godfather’s Pizza CEO said of his decision to run for president. “I’m a man of faith, I had to do a lot of praying for this one, more praying than I’d ever done before in my life. And when I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses: ‘You’ve got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?’”

Once the decision was made, Cain said, “I did not look back.”

Well, it should be noted that he didn’t look back until his alleged sexual misconduct and affairs were made public.  And he prayed about the decision to suspend his campaign, too.

God convinced Cain to run for the presidency, presumably with the knowledge that his philandering would come to light.  The only conclusion that we can draw from this is that God was teaching Cain some sort of lesson in humility.  I mean, is there any other possibility?  I don’t think it was in God’s plan for Cain to actually win the election, and Cain somehow subverted those plans with his human fallibility.

I’m confused by this course of action.  I guess I can’t say exactly why, but it strikes me as kind of petty or childish to trick someone into running for president, only to publically humiliate them later.  It’s like Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown.  The next time Herman Cain prays for something, and receives an answer for those prayers, he may think twice about actually acting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment