Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Morality of Atheists

Theist apologists seem to have this view that theists have no morals.  Since we don’t believe in God, and since God was the one who gave us our morality, then we’re simply free to do whatever we please.  If I feel like raping or murdering someone, and since I don’t have any fear of divine punishment, what’s stopping me from doing that?

There are a couple angles to this, and I’m not sure which one is intended.

On the one hand, the argument could be made that God indeed granted us our moral compass, and the fact that we (as a society) don’t go around raping and killing each other is evidence that we have some ingrained sense of right and wrong.  This is an idea that I can get behind.  I have done things that were “wrong”, and I have felt guilt.  I’d argue, though, that the source of that sense of right and wrong isn’t divine.  I think it’s much more likely that it’s the result of individual people learning how to behave in their respective society, as well as a species-wide evolution of acceptable behavior.

What about feral children?  I think there’s some evidence that humans who are raised by animals (see Oxana Malaya) take on the qualities of those animals.  Isn’t that an indication that we learn what is acceptable behavior, at least to some degree, from what we see around us?  And doesn’t it make sense that certain qualities could be selected for and selected against that have led us to where we are now?

But on the other hand, theists really seem to believe, in spite of all available evidence, that atheists are evil and sinful and purposely “turn their backs” to God (which implies some level of belief) so they can continue living in their sinful ways.  I’m not sure who they’re describing when they use those words, though.  Either you believe in God or you don’t, but I’m not sure how many people believe in God AND reject him.  Satanists, perhaps?  I’m not sure.

Anyways, Ray Comfort said it best himself:  “I’d be in jail if I wasn’t a Christian.”

My jaw dropped when I heard this.  What an astonishing thing to say!  If I understand him correctly, he’s saying that the only thing holding him back from breaking the law is fear of God.  In my mind, that makes him a Bad Person.

I don’t believe any gods exist, yet I’m not in jail.  You know why?  Because I have a rational and reasonable understanding of how my actions affect other people.  I understand that my right to swing my arms ends where another person’s nose begins.  I understand that there are consequences to my actions. 

So what stops me from stealing something that I want from a store?  A few things.  First, I understand and agree to live in a society that has rules.  Second, I understand and agree with the underlying reason those rules exist.  And finally, I want to raise a child and set a good example of what it means to be a good person.  I didn’t understand these things as a child, and in fact as a child I acted in ways contrary to this.  I think most kids do.

No comments:

Post a Comment