Friday, November 2, 2012

From in an LDS Pamphlet...

"There is a falsehood that some are born with an attraction to their own kind, with nothing they can do about it.  They are just "that way" and can only yield to those desires.  That is a malicious and destructive lie.  While it is a convincing idea to some, it is of the devil.  no one is locked into that kind of life.  From our premortal life we were directed into a physical body.  There is no mismatching of bodies and spirits   Boys are to become men -- masculine, manly men -- ultimately to become husbands and fathers.  No one is predestined to a perverted use of these powers."
(Source)

On the one hand, we have legions of gays and lesbians who claim that they didn't choose their sexuality in exactly the same way that I didn't choose my own.  Are they lying to me?  Are they actually heterosexual, or confused, and want to be gay by choice?

And on the other hand, we have an official church document saying that those people are liars.  Or, at best, they think they're telling the truth, but have themselves been misled by someone?

I'm inclined to believe the former.  In my own life, I've observed the following:

Masculine males who are attracted to women.
Feminine males who are attracted to women.

Masculine males who are attracted to men.
Feminine males who are attracted to men.

Throw gender identity on top of that, and you've got men who feel inside that they should have been born as women, and vice versa.  I can't believe that these folks, some of whom are driven to suicide, are lying to me.

The working conclusion that I've come to is that physical gender, perceived gender identification, and sexual orientation are distinct biological processes.  In most cases, they match up (men act masculine and desire women, and vice versa).  But some people are born with different switches, and it leads to all the various combinations.  Or, in some cases, early life trauma can mess up natural sexual development.  And they aren't binary switches, either.  There's all kinds of shades of gray in the middle.

The pamphlet asserts that the notion that "people are born with an attraction to their own kind, and nothing they can do about it" is a falsehood, and that they can only yield to those desires is "malicious and destructive lie".

It takes some careful reading to parse this.  Is the lie that people are born a certain way?  Or is the lie that there is nothing they can do about it?  From all the testimony I've heard, I can't come to any other conclusion other than people are born that way.  But I agree (technically) that they aren't "forced" to yield do those desires.  They could attempt to choose a straight lifestyle, or remain celibate, I guess.

Coincidentally, this quote is taken from a pamphlet about masturbation.  I'll leave that subject for a different time, but the pamphlet is specifically intended for young men, and basically talks using their little factories and the product produced for martial purpose.

I wonder what the view is on female masturbation?  Certainly nothing is physically lost when a young woman masturbations (in the same way that semen is for men).  So is it a problem?  I'll wait until I get home from work to google that one... :)

Finally, there is the implicit linking of masturbation and homosexuality.  This not only doesn't make sense to me, but I can't imagine there is any actual evidence that justifies even the lightest correlation between the two.  Maybe the church elders know something I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment